Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dark Age of Camelot

Well, I'm heading out to a wedding later this afternoon, so I figured I'd update a little earlier today. So what I have for you is a quick review of DAoC, based on my experiences over the last week or so.

The original release date was October 10, 2001. DAoC is now under the domain of the EA Mythic team, who also manage Ultima Online and Warhammer Online. Current client version is v1.95, and obviously the expansion at this point is Shrouded Isles. Like many other MMO's, they were offering a 14-day trial, so I decided to jump in on the fun.

Overall, not too bad of an experience. mmorpg.com rates the game as a 7.71 on a 10 scale. I'm not sure if I would go that high. These days, the game seems to be plagued with low server populations (about 430 players on the Lancelot server where I played). The graphics are reminiscent of EQ1, and needless to say leave quite a bit to be hoped for. I've spoken to a few old vets, and there have also been complaints of hacking. Gameplay is familiar in style to other MMORPGs, but the game "system" if you will is one that makes it special.

DAoC includes elements of both PvP and PvE. Their Realm vs. Realm system is pretty renowned, and seems to get the most praise from players I've encountered. Personally, I joined the "Albion" realm, and made an Avalonian Mercenary. I didn't really do any class research prior to playing, but it sounded almost rogue-like, so I figured I'd give it a shot. (On a side note, there are 44 classes, and 18 race possibilities). I breezed through many of the beginner tutorials, gaining a few level ups. Already, I began to encounter system messages relating to "invasions": enemy "Midgar" players had captured various outposts. Unfortunately I must not have advanced far enough to witness any of the action, but the concept sounds pretty intriguing.

Overall, I'd say if you're looking for a change of pace, at least get the trial. Yes, you have to provide CC info, but naturally you can just remove the info right after providing it if you'd like. If you go the route of downloading the client like I did, be prepared. The file is 1.92GB, so it will require some patience. Head over here if this strikes your fancy.

Have a great Saturday. There's many hours of play time ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment